Saturday, December 17, 2005

conspiracy

I was driving back home after a night out with all the lights and dazzles of Christmas. I had spent the day shopping, lunch with some friends and the night out. I was happy, but not fully satisfied. I was searching me looking for answers and ... I saw an old lady walking along the pavement minding her own business. It was late and cold, well at least that's what other people think, I am kind of cold-proof. I passed her by and then suddenly pulled to the curb and waited for her to get to the car.

- Excuse me, do you need a ride?
- To Hastings, that would be good.


She got in.

- It's cool.
- Yes
.

I answered thinking she must have meant freezing. Feeling the satisfaction sink, I was suddenly so calm. I turned up the heat in the car and waited for her to fasten the seat belt with her wrinkled hands, they were beautiful. I would have waited a hundred hours if I hadn't felt she was having a hard time. I gave her a hand and off we went.

- Ready for Christmas?
- Yes, I have my lights and Christmas tree up and I will be hosting friends this week. How about you?


And then I felt stupid for asking that question. She was carrying a plastic bag of empty containers, what a hard time Christmas must be. She nodded.

- I still have some wrapping to do.

... I pulled to the side and she got out.

- Merry Christmas.
- Merry Christmas and take care, be safe ....


I can't remember the rest, it's a blur ... a wide smile spread on my face. I felt the chill in my body and then the joy, the bliss. Finally, what I needed for the holidays ...

It reminded me of an episode of Friends where Joey was trying to prove to Pheobe that even acts of kindness are triggered by selfishness. Maybe he was right, but why would I care, it did us both good ...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is true and selfishness looks good sometimes.

December 17, 2005 11:50 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home