Tuesday, August 23, 2005

cat-sitting

A friend had to go out of town for a while and I offered to take care of her cat. Of course the cat is at her place, so I have to drop by every other day to feed and groom the cat.
Today was the first day. I walked in to find the cat sitting behind the door giving me just enough room to squeeze in. I knew she was shy and a little scared - my friend adopted the cat from SPCA so the poor animal had been on the streets for a while and from what I could see at the time had had a hard time.
I didn't approach her at the instant. I walked around a bit and then picked up her brush ... she was purring happily in no time. One step.
I gave her a full dish of her veterinarian's food. Second step. She still wasn't trusting me though. She wouldn't play catch the string. I walked around the house for a while. Spent a little time on the couch she likes and ... She was beginning to get more comfortable with me. Going for short walks and sitting closer each time ...
I was sitting on the comfort seat in the guest room watching TV, when she came and glanced in the room. Elegantly walking through the dining room on to the porch, she looked in again through the sliding glass door. After she was sure that it's safe, she walked in and sat in front of the TV with me. We were doing fine now ...
As I walked out of the door she came with me. I told her to go back in. Maybe another day we could go outside for a walk, we don't want to take it too fast ...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Allah,
Give Me The Courage To Change The Things I Can;The Serenity To Accept The Things I Cannot;And The Wisdom To Know The Difference...(Gibran,khalil)

August 23, 2005 4:31 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home