Sunday, April 24, 2005

am i strange?

The little folks on the bus had me thinking for a while. I always had the understanding that I communicate with a very small, specific group of people. A bunch of well educated engineers (or engineers to be) in an age range of 18 to 60 - don't let the age range fool you they have a lot in common. Basically clones of a prototype. I tried to get a feeling for the 99.9% of the rest of the community that surrounds me by talking to everyday people whenever I could.
All of that in mind, I had not realized how moving to Canada had narrowed down the group of people I was in touch with. My close friends, which are by the way quite a big group, are electrical and computer engineering students who graduated from Sharif and are now graduate students somewhere in the world. A step further, my other friends, with a few exceptions, are Sharif graduates who are also graduate students mostly in North America. How is that for diversity?!
Of course among my friends are people who are not engineers, who are not students, who .... but very few. Is this ok? Will I end up a normal person? These were things I was thinking to myself as I was walking in the mall shopping for clothes and shoes. Every once in a while someone would catch my eye and I would start thinking how different our worlds are! Am I a stranger to the outside world? Am I too distant from the average person? Is it alright to be such a minority or should I start doing something about it? Although I do feel rather comfortable as is, is there something that I am missing out on?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey
i really like your weblog.
i was reading it and saw the poem by sepehri , it made me feel better . im also new to the north america,
its good at least you have some close friends around you there. I think the minority you're talkin about is becasue you havent been exposed to other people the same extent in the society.

April 24, 2005 6:06 p.m.  
Blogger j-sam: said...

well, we're all strange in our way. who is not?

April 25, 2005 5:11 a.m.  
Blogger Pedram said...

Good question!

April 25, 2005 9:09 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you know, if you found an answer keep me posted!!! I suffer from the same thing!

April 25, 2005 9:46 a.m.  
Blogger dokhtare aftab said...

hi Farshid,
glad you like it and so happy that it cheered you up!

April 25, 2005 5:02 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home