Monday, January 02, 2006

unfinished

As an elementary school student I took the entrance exam for the National Organization for Exceptional Talents (NODET) - fancy name, may be a little too fancy. At that time to me it was a chance to be among the best. It took a few years for me to develop the thought that it was too soon to classify students based on their talents - even assuming the system was one hundred percent accurate in selection. Aside from what I would call the cultural sensitivity to ranking which I assume is at its highest among us Iranians, children of that age have usually not developed the understanding to cope with being exempted. Neither have their peers which are schooling in the public schooling system. Underdeveloped understanding and the inability to couch that even in the best case some may be more talented than others, creates an undesired constant clash.
Not in such an extreme, but following the ever present sensitivity to ranking, as I entered Sharif University the problems continued. Again from both sides. And the same reasons. I can understand my own stronger desire for education, even compared to my colleagues. But what still has me on my thinking bench is why this is such a sensitive issue.
Most of what is seen in such cases is a action-reaction system which resonates much further than first predicted. Each group blaming the other. Some approach it with the thought that those who study at NODET or Sharif or whatever organization you think of, are all, or in the more moderate case are within a certain category with identifiable behavior and deeds. It is to some extent acceptable that a group will develop similar behaviours, but how much can that be? I still think this is more influenced by our expectations than our observation. And what's more I thought it would end at least when I left Iran, but we don't forget do we? People change attitude the instant they hear where you've studied and ... for one thing, it's not fair!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very true that in that age its really too soon to recognize real talents and also talent in what? just in mathematics and physics and.. there were two sides to these schools..from one side this schools used to give lots of self-confidence to their students during the education and this really worked and they are finally very suceesful in academic cariers especially in theoretic parts. Sharif was pretty much the continuation of this high schools in form of a university. on the other hand I do believe that graduates of this system have developed common behaviours that makes them to normally get together still keeping the seperation. I do n't want to judge this especially that there was not such an school in my time!

January 04, 2006 12:14 a.m.  
Blogger Pedram said...

Well, I agree that maybe Sharifis have develeoped certain common behaviors, because of being in Sharif, yet these are not very important features of their personality. I believe that much of a person's personality is shaped during the first stages of his/her growth, that is before entering university. As for NODET, I really don't know. I was admitted in the entrance exam, but at that time I was scared from its name. So, I convinced my parents that it is bad for me!! I still more or less believe so. I think that it is good for a kid to grow among "regular" people. well, maybe I am wrong?!

January 07, 2006 7:30 p.m.  
Blogger dokhtare aftab said...

to tell you the truth, i don't know what age would be appropriate ...

January 07, 2006 11:16 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home